You would have faced this issue sometimes ot other if you are importing csv files and the text field has , in between.
Since it is CSV (comma separated value) while importing, it will break the text values and move to next column.
Definitely that is not what you want.!
What I do is I go and replace , with \,\
Now when you import, it should be all set
This year SXSWEdu (South By Southwest) kicked off in Austin, Texas. Here the edtech startups and other brilliant education folk gather an talk about the latest in education. It’s a series of 4 days where everyone meets, discusses, and plans for the future of education.
Even though you may not be there but you can follow the SXSWEdu through mobile and digital magazine .
There will also be 10 education-based documentaries screening at the Alamo Ritz, which Reed called “a little bit of an homage to our friends at SXSW Film.” He’s also announced a policy forum in partnership with the Texas Tribune, “addressing high-relevance policy topics in public and higher ed.” And, for somewhat a less passive experience, Make magazine co-founder and distinguished speaker Dale Dougherty (“Hacking the Physical World”) will be hosting a Makerspace “where we’ll have both session programming as well as a variety of makers on display with 3-D printers and laser cutters.”
One of the events I would be interested is Online Education : Will it make us Smarter ?
Summary for this event
As acknowledgment of the online education space continues to grow—both within and outside university walls—so do the players seeking to maximize the promise of digital learning. With an array of organizations and startups battling over pupils’ time and attention, how can one determine which approach is “best”? Is it the company that offers live online tutors to aid in course study? Or the one that partners with top-tier universities to create content for millions of people around the globe? Is it the startup that allows anyone to create an online course? Can we even say there is a “best” approach to online education? Hear from a panel of successful startups in the online education space and industry experts as they debate the methods, challenges, downfalls and opportunities MOOCs and edtech providers will face in their quest to forever change how we learn. Listen to their thoughts on the future landscape on online education and how they view the maturation of the industry over time.
Ipad2 is a great device for reading and it gives a mind blowing experince especially with apps like Flipboard and The daily.
I was very tempted to start reading my rss feeds which I read through Google reader and set up my google account. The reading experience was not very bad but when you compare to flipboard and The daily, you would hate it.
So I started looking for an app which could use my existing google account and give me a great reading exp. I was able to find MobileRSS which pulled feeds from my google account including my bookmarked posts.
It has been great reading experience on mobile rss and I would definitely recommend it. The best part is price : Free.
Amazon has entered into app store market by launching its own App store. This morning Amazon AppStore Developer program . Yes it will be android apps only . But this gives another platform for developers to create and sell their app.
This is close to on heels of Launching Kindle development Kit , which was in limited beta.
They are waiving $99 program fees for the first year which is a very welcome move.
What is the criteria for approving apps ?
Nothing has been said in this regard but my guess is that they will stay away from pornographic and controversial apps. Of course they would not block apps like google voice !!
This could be more beneficial to developers because Read more…
Ever wondered how to convert all of your blog posts into an ebook ?
Look at BookBrewer.
How it Works: Import posts from your site or blog, or copy/paste from a manuscript. Edit content and drag it into chapters and boom…the boom is ready.
You can start selling your ebooks with them as well. Pay $89.99 to send your eBook to online stores with your ISBN or one we assign for free, or $199.99 to get an ePub file to do with as you wish.
An amazing hot deal ! Beginning Nov 1 , Amazon will offer 1 year of free usage to its web services in cloud to all new customers. The free stuff includes
AWS Free Usage Tier (Per Month):
- 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month
- 750 hours of an Elastic Load Balancer plus 15 GB data processing*
- 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage, plus 1 million I/Os, 1 GB of snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and 1,000 snapshot Put Requests
- 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage, 20,000 Get Requests, and 2,000 Put Requests
- 30 GB per of internet data transfer (15 GB of data transfer “in” and 15 GB of data transfer “out” across all services except Amazon CloudFront)
- 25 Amazon SimpleDB Machine Hours and 1 GB of Storage
- 100,000 Requests of Amazon Simple Queue Service
- 100,000 Requests, 100,000 HTTP notifications and 1,000 email notifications for Amazon Simple Notification Service
In addition to these services, the AWS Management Console is available at no charge to help you build and manage your application on AWS. Read more…
To a newcomer, it is not always clear if he should use wordpress , one of the most popular blogging platforms , or use Drupal content management.
Here is quick comparison between two and which one suits you best.
This is one the most popular blogging platform and you should use if you satisfy the following conditions:
1. You want to “just blog”, and don’t want to mess around with programming code, website design and the like.
2. You are satisfied either with the default theme (appearance) provided by WordPress, or can find a WordPress theme from a third party that suits your requirements.
3. You are a solitary blogger – you don’t need support for separate blogs on one website, where there are different people posting to different blogs.
4. There are literally thousands of free plugins and themes for wordpress. The community surrounding WordPress really does an outstanding job with this. Drupal doesn’t quite have as many plugins (called modules in Drupal) and themes to go around.
In fact you have a plugin for every functionality you might wish like integrating with flickr, job listings , traffic estimate. You just name it.
5. Out of the box installation. Nearly all hosting providers provide support for wordpress.
Personally, I feel that WordPress is probably a good choice for most casual bloggers. It particularly excels if you are a newcomer to web development, since the default setup is perfectly usable if you are not too fussy.
And best part , wordPress is free.
Designing your site to look and behave the way you want it to with Drupal, however, will probably be a daunting task for many people. Don’t undertake it unless: Read more…
When starting with a new project , first question which would come to your mind is which VCS to chose. Given a lot of options in market like CVS, SVN , Mercurial and Microsoft VSS , you have to look at you requirements.
If you are looking for something popular , easy to use , low cost and working with distributed teams, you should go either with CVS or SVN.
Here is quick comparison of various VCS used . This is a result of survey done in 2008 by finalbuilder.
Soucre control surver
Looking at the results, you would surely go with SVN but one should look at why SVN is getting more popular and is taking over CVS. SVN was created to fix some problems in CVS. Read more…