Educational instructors can make use of iTunes U to a large extent. This application has helped such professionals create study materials on the basis of the course modules, such that students can gain access to the classroom lectures on their iPads, iPhones and Mac PCs as well. iTunes U has brilliantly redefined the student-teacher interface, by virtue of software applications which has made studying a tad bit more interesting. And each educator can make use of the various features of iTunes U to create course materials as well.
To Begin with iTunes U
If you are a lecturer, or a teacher, and you intend to exploit iTunes U optimally, first you would need to get started with an instructor’s profile. If you do not have an Apple account of your own, you need to make one for yourself in order to log into iTunes and have access to the iTunes U app. Once you have logged into iTunes, you can find the iTunes U icon on the far right corner of the iTunes screen.
Your instructor profile would be used as the reference root, for all the courses that you would be creating by the use of this application. After the profile has been made, you would be seeing a dashboard on the screen. This would have a certain icon namely, ‘Create New Course’. You would be clicking on that to begin writing your modules. Moreover, you can add as much as 20 GB of materials in this application. For quick know-hows, a column of frequently asked questions would be appearing on the right hand side. You can check on those if you have any queries.
Creating Courses with iTunes U
To begin with adding courses, you need to go the New Course Settings to enter all the corresponding information. These would include;
- The name of the course e.g. Physics 12 (as in module 12 of Physics course)
- Name of the institution where you belong.
- Your respective department.
- Selecting a category, a sub-category and also the level and language of instruction.
- Description or summary of the course you are adding to enlighten students about the basic idea of the module you are writing.
- Selecting the course type is important. If you want students to complete the course at their own convenience, select the ‘Self-Paced’ option. Otherwise, go for the ‘In-Session’ option, in order to set the time limit for the same.
- Select the kind of licensing of your associated content.
- Uploading an image to represent your content, to make it compelling and attractive. The minimum image size should be of 600X600 pixels.
After you have completed these procedures, you would be seeing the aforementioned dashboard again. Here, you would find all the latest information regarding your course. All you need to do is to click on the course module in order to edit it, add assignments, videos, updated contents etc. You can also check for the number of students who has signed up for you course.
Edit, Organize, Share
Organizing and editing contents in iTunes U can be done by the use of the following things;
- Outline page: Here, the instructor will be adding the course curriculum. If the course has been set at ‘self-paced’ term, he or she can summarize the entire syllabi. If the course is ‘In Session’, then the instructor can go on updating the curriculum as and when he or she adds new courses.
- Instructor Page: Consists of the profile facts of the instructor. This also contains all other courses that the said instructor is managing.
- Overview page: This page would show all the contents that you have added previously. This would also display your institution’s name, the course level, description etc. You can edit each of these any time you want.
- Use posts, assignments and materials icons to add your contents.
You can also go about adding new pages as per your discretion. This may involve highlighting different learning outcomes, or any other thing that may be helpful for the students like prerequisites that a student should know about before taking up the course.
Go to the below link to excavated more on the courses:-