Jobs are scarce in this economy but in technology sector , you fill find a lots of requirements for SEO jobs (Search engine optimization) .
For those who are new to this field , you should understand SEO as an “technique, tricks and methodologies used to rank website higher in search engine” . You can read in details about SEO here .
Go and search for SEO on indeed.com or monster.com. There are lot of freelancing jobs in craigslist also available. This would give you an insight into demand for SEO specialist
The salary can range from $45000 – $75000to or $20/per hr to $40/per hr, depending on your capability and talent.
Since this is a online work , any one who has a laptop and internet connection can take this work. So people from India, Philippines would be there to challenge you on this front.
How to Start :
There has been much written about SEO , black hat marketing , white hat marketing and you can find tons of materials. From my perspective, if you are planning to make a career in SEO you should have following
1. Create a website or a blog , which can be displayed as a proof that you know your work. A good example is Mani Karthik who write dailySeoBlog. If you have such a good blog then people will know you have got talent and can hire you on high rates.
2. Start posting articles on the blog on a subject area you are comfortable with.
3. Familiarize with tools like alexa, google page rank, keyword finder . You can find link of some tools in our forum.
4. Start following sites like http://www.SEOmoz.org, read Matt Cutts blog , Avainash Kaushik . You will learn so much by reading these people’s blogs.
5. Create a google analytics and google webmaster account. Create a bing websmater account also.
Configure your site/blog with these tools and review the results periodically.
These are good starting points. I will add more later