Mock tests, Interview questions, Tutorials and Tech news

Home > Programming / tutorials > Good bye MyEclipse. Welcome STS -Spring source Tool Suite

Good bye MyEclipse. Welcome STS -Spring source Tool Suite

January 22nd, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

I had been using myEclipse for couple of years and was happy with features and convenience they provided especially the hot deploy feature. The license fees is $30 per year which wasn’t bad.

Recently I downloaded MyEclipse7 which had some new features and like advanced java script tooling, JSF views and enhancements.  It was a huge file and after installation when you start myeclipse, it takes a good amount of time to fire up.

I have a machine which is pretty good with 2GB of RAM and this was not the kind of sluggish performance which I expected. I am assuming the high boot up time is that they have introduced many new features and capabilities, UML upgrades . Now even if you are not using them , it takes time to load them up all the libraries. Perhaps they should have allowed the users to customize the options based on need instead of pushing everything in their face.

I thought of shifting back to old version of myEclipse6.0 . Then I read about Spring announcing Spring Source Tool Suite 2.0

Spring source tool suite is built over Eclipse. Spring claims that STS will improve the developer productivity especially with the new Visual Spring Configuration Editor. It is ironic that with Spring 3.0, we are moving towards annotation and the xml files are just bare bone skeleton.

The reasons because of which I moved to STS because of its capability to integrate with Spring source TC development server (build on top of Tomcat). What you gain from STS and with Spring source TC development server is the ability to monitor the performance of your code. I will cover how to do this in next post but in the meantime I am happy with what I see in the STS.

One of the problems I am facing in STS is that at time the screen freezes when working on JSP and javascript files. The copy paste also takes a lot of time compared to eclipse.

I need to explore what could be issue.

But anyway, overall I am satisfied with Spring source tool suite.

Good bye MyEclipse and I get to save $30 !

Be Sociable, Share!
  1. Ranjeet
    October 30th, 2012 at 10:00 | #1

I checked out code from svn repository Springsource STS. All the short cuts which used to work is not working in these codes. Such as syso and ctrl + space bar , writes System.out.println. Putting mouse on method call and Clicking on method takes to the method definition etc. These shortcuts are not working in STS.

Please suggest how to resolve this.

2. May 16th, 2010 at 08:03 | #2

Gal . I do not think it costs $200. It still costs $30 and comes with all the feature sets.

3. Gal
    May 16th, 2010 at 02:55 | #3

p.s. MyEclipse for Spring cost 200$.
    Although it offers nice capabilities of Skyway scaffolding, I think that the price is too high for me.

4. April 19th, 2010 at 21:54 | #4

@Brian Fernandes
    I have downloaded myeclipse 8.5 and after I make it lean i.e uninstall the features which we do not need, it is pretty quick.
    We have to be careful so as not to do auto update and install back everything else I am happy with myeclipse 8.5.

5. April 19th, 2010 at 02:28 | #5

@Rajesh Patel
    Rajesh, we have not seen that happen and uninstallation of components (especially Maven – quite a few people don’t want/need it) is something we test frequently. Furthermore, the Maven integration has also been redone for the GA release of 8.5. If you still see problems, do report it on our forum – I’ll make sure we fix it. Thanks!

6. February 23rd, 2010 at 14:39 | #6

I tried the “uninstall feature” in myeclipse, I was left with a partially working IDE. Seems like the dependencies between all the components hasn’t been worked out yet. I really wanted to disable maven but once you do that you end up with other components not working.

7. January 23rd, 2010 at 11:25 | #7

Thanks for replying to the post Brian. I would definitely try out myeclipse8 .

8. January 23rd, 2010 at 05:31 | #8

Vinay, I’m happy to inform you that the issues you mention in your post have already been addressed in MyEclipse 8, which was released in November last year. We do realize that not everyone needs to use all our features, and MyEclipse does have a *lot* of features. So, starting with MyEclipse 8, users are allowed to uninstall features which they do not need. This does not only remove them from the UI, but actually uninstalls them entirely, giving you a trimmed down install suited exactly to your needs.

If you go on to MyEclipse 8.5 (Milestone 1 has been released) we’ve enhanced the ability to add and remove MyEclipse features with a new Pulse 3 based Configuration Center, which also adds significant team support in addition to making feature management a breeze. Look at the Configuration Center screenshots in our New & Noteworthy doc: http://myeclipseide.com/module-htmlpages-display-pid-449.html

As far as our Spring features are concerned, we will have a tc Server connector in MyEclipse 8.5 and you can test this in 8.5 Milestone 2, due early next month. You may also be interested in our new “MyEclipse for Spring” product, more details here: http://www.genuitec.com/blog/?p=1007

Do try MyEclipse 8/8.5, we continue to improve in this area and I’m sure you’ll like what is coming. We appreciate your feedback and I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have.

1. January 28th, 2010 at 11:52 | #1